Thursday, April 21, 2011

My First Cartoons: An Exercise in Channelling Frustration

Remember THIS?!  



Me neither.  It's forgettable to say the least.  But it was the first.  I started making these cartoon things using Paint when I first moved to Vancouver from Edmonton.  Big move, everything new, few friends, no job.  I was overwhelmed.  So I was bored and decided to channel my energies into my appreciation for cartoons and making something fun out of something poopy. Here is the caption for that first picture way back in October 2010:

"i have been journaling/mind-dumping/self-blogging, and decided to make a picture for each entry. this is the first: this is what i felt after my first day in vancouver."

This next one was but a few days later.  My new room:

And then this one with where the Elephants (the worst upstairs neighbours I've ever experienced) make their first appearance:



Only a few days at the new place, and already we knew we would be moving when our six-month lease was up.  

Further frustration ensued in the employment department which lasted TWO months.  But I was ready and willing to do anything in order to keep sane.  And financially sound.



And sometimes my dreams found their way into the irritation of the job hunt.


Luckily, I never had to do either of those jobs.  And then, once employed again (for two weeks as a bike courier), I had less time on my hands to do these cartoons and frustration had significantly diminished.  Thank GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment